Garage Conversion Part 5: Stud Wall

0

So the ceiling is finally soundproofed, there’s nothing stopping me splitting the garage into two rooms now!

Like with most things I end up building, I designed this in Sketchup as a first step. The idea was to have a door in the centre wide enough to get arcade machines through. It would open outwards to the workshop side. This would make the best use of space by not taking up a corner in each room. I designed it with 9.5mm plasterboard on top of 38x89mm studwork CLS timber. The door I chose was an 838mm wide four-panel pine one from Wickes. I also bought a door lining kit to make things easier…


I had help with this from Ed again which meant we could speed through it. Due to the suspended ceiling, we could only secure the studwork frame on three sides (the walls and the floor). My initial Sketchup design above wasn’t stable enough as it didn’t take this into account, so we had to strengthen the top by adding some more studwork. Frame fixings were used to secure the timbers into the concrete floor and walls. I was pretty nervous that the frame wouldn’t be strong enough without being secured on all four sides, but once up and tweaked at the top, it was as strong as an ox and wasn’t budging. It would be fine with the extra weight of the plasterboard on it…


As soon as the frame was up, it was time to test that the door fit nicely… looks pretty good to me! 🙂

test that the door fits


Time to get the insulation in and the plasterboard on. Also now was the time to fit the plug sockets and the light switch…

sockets in workshop


I used some standard rockwool from Wickes to fill the gaps. It was cheaper than the RW3 stuff I used for the ceiling, but it was fine. It felt like I was cutting up a Wookie…

sockets in stud wall


As with the ceiling, I squeezed these plasterboard panels up against some acoustic foam along the top to minimise sound/vibrations travelling upstairs. The top of the studwork frame itself didn’t touch the ceiling at all (was about 5mm away).

Finally, it’s up! I have an empty workshop room! 🙂

workshop face on

…and a rather full gameroom…

gameroom


Last thing was to fit the lock on the door. I wanted to be able to lock my tools away in the workshop, so I opted to have the key on the gameroom side, and the locking latch on the workshop side.


Later on I’d have to get the rooms plastered, put the door architrave on, and do some painting, but to get to this point was a great milestone to achieve! Now I had an empty workshop room, and loads of tools strewn all over the place. It was clear the next thing I needed was a workbench to put in the workshop so I could store and organise all my tools. On to Part 6 for that.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here